Geminid Meteor Shower

10 Days till Christmas


Correction (01/03/2018)

Most of these photos are of aircraft


The Geminids and the Quadrantids  are the only meteor showers NOT originating from a comet. They are babies in the meteor shower family, only appearing since 1862. It is a great display and I caught a few on camera. 

I wasn't too sure how well the camera would hold up in the cold before the lens would frost over or the battery would quit so I only took a sequence of 117 photos.

I shot these with a 20mm Lumix lens which is equivalent in 35mm terms to a 40mm. Not exactly wide angle but the fastest lens I have. I chose a shutter speed of 30 seconds with a 8 second gap between shots. ISO was set at 400 which was the best quality I thought I could choose for a night sky.

My neighbors Christmas lights gave me a subject for manually setting focus because this lens like so many other digital lens does NOT have an infinity marking (why not?).

I hope everyone got a chance to see a few of these, it was a great show and we are BLESSED to have less light pollution than most places. I love dark skies.

I was just setting up the camera when this zipped by. I didn't see it but the camera did

Later I had the camera pointed directly overhead and caught this small one

This meteor appeared to be red which I've never seen before. I have seen very bright green streaks before. Must have been made of iron

I like this shot, not sure about the double streak, might be an artifact of the filter on the lena, next time I'll remove it.

There will be a next time, meteor showers are the best


Prints for sale

Find more about Weather in New Ipswich, NH
Click for weather forecast



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)