New Boston Ice Storm "Recovery" Continues

We’re in a serious weather event – ice storm w. major power outages, but we have no idea about what is going on since we don’t have communications access. I took Mom around for my Saturday errands. Fortunately they did have power where I was scheduled for my haircut…nice to get a shampoo. And then I went to the gym for a shower. When we got back to town we went to the elementary school to check out the first run of our “emergency shelter” situation. Since they needed a midnight to 6AM shift “supervisor” we volunteered. [Mom felt she wanted an “adventure” Actually Mom is the one who could stay up all night reading her Jodi Picoult book.. I slept. Weird to sleep in the gym where I taught 22 years ago! ]
In town, we do have two couples who have been trained in CERT Community Emergency Response Training – a national program for community members to be prepared in event of emergencies. They have been putting in 12+ hours a day shifts.

Picture of Mom w. walkie talkie (is it still called that?) At "base 100" direct line to fire chief.

Lots and lots of food was donated but not that many people sleeping over. But in the AM folks came in for some thawing time and hot foot. I do think there is a stigma to the term “shelter”.. maybe “relief station” or “comfort zone” would be more welcoming.

The national guard, 2-trucks full, showed up since the fire station generator died.. their duty was to trim trees.. they reported that we are one of the towns worst hit.. too many trees down, although they said most people on those roads were out with their own chain saws clearing branches. The local firemen chatted with them, the general conversation being complaints about public service utility not efficient enough with tree trimming. It sounded more like competition over who is the better team. The national guard group is a parallel to a teacher on a field trip- the group (19-20 yr olds?)getting directions about going to the bathroom and get some food and don’t get overheated b/c then you will be chilled outside.

So , in addition to catching up on my knitting and handcrafts I am strategizing how to get a shower and do we have school or not.. etc. etc.

Our house is toasty. We have the gas lights that are keeping an even temperature. We have not yet fired up the woodstove (not too much wood). Our new gas heaters have an electric thermostat and fan, so they are not a help. The lights are really the answer for us now. We can cook because we have the gas stove.

Brad & I went to the Apple store and played with new toys and got caught up on email. I heard on radio no school in Amherst,,, but went anyway b/c we are technically a different district and they always name us separately .. but no actually no school.. so I had a nice 6AM chat w. custodians and a little quiet work time.

Time to go gather water!

Comments

  1. Shelter does have a certain stigma I suppose but "Relief Station" reminds me of a Gas Station restroom. (What a relief!). We had one gent on our street who was sitting in an unheated 35 degree house and was turning blue. Thankfully he went to the shelter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)