Congratulations Jesse & Stephanie

2009_UNH_Graduation_3221

We attended Stephanie & Jesse’s graduation today. Both graduated as engineers, Jesse is a mechanical engineer and Stephanie is a chemical engineer. Stephanie is a member of the Society of Women Engineers.
This commencement was “Green”. Power for the ceremony was supplied by methane produced by a landfill. There were recycle and compost bins near the food area. Shuttle service was available and I noticed a train depot right on campus.
I was especially impressed with the commencement address given by Gary Hirshberg the CE-Yo of Stonyfield Farm. I have a warm spot in my heart for the Stonyfield Yogurt folks because for a short time I lived next Samuel Kaymen one of the founders here in New Ipswich. When he came over to introduced himself I was actually cooking up some of my own yogurt in a Salton yogurt maker (this was in the wonderful 70’s when we were going to change the world and be self sufficient). I remember having a fine burrito supper with his family with plenty of wine… but I digress.
The conferring of degrees was accompanied by folk music plucked  right from the Peter, Paul and Mary songbook with a little Ian & Sylvia mixed in. The Graduates were puzzled by the musical choices but it took me back, way back.
Congrats again Jesse and Stephanie, you made your folks proud (and this uncle and aunt)

2009_UNH_Graduation_3265_edited-1

Comments

  1. My youngest daughter Mary also graduated from UNH this year. I'm actually the proud father of two graduates this spring since my oldest, Melissa, received her Master's from Northeastern a couple of weeks ago as well.

    I had a slightly different perspective on the UNH graduation.

    Gary Hirshberg's keynote address was half Stoneyfield Yogurt infomercial and half propagandizing for pie-in-the-sky alternative energy technologies. After the ceremony Mary wondered why everyone didn't have solar panels on their homes already. I had to break the news to her that our friend Paul who recently did just that will never recover the cost of the solar electric and hot water collectors he recently bought. He and his wife both have good jobs (and no kids in college) so they can afford to indulge themselves. Unfortunately, the solar technologies just aren't there yet...maybe in our lifetime, but certainly not now.

    As John mentioned, we were entertained with folk songs from the 60's while diploma's were handed out. It was at this point in the program where Melissa leaned over to me and said, "Dad...Mary goes to a Hippie school". The whole thing struck me as the UNH faculty reliving their lost youth.

    In general, however, the ceremony was very well planned and executed. I thought they dealt very efficiently with the large number of people in attendance, and it was great to see all the young people so excited and proud of their accomplishments.

    We took a walk around the campus afterwards. If you are ever in need of items to sell at a yard sale, the dumpsters around the dorms after the kids move out are chock full of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)