Amoskeag Fishways - Sea Lamprey Appreciation Day

I attended the Sea Lamprey Appreciation Day at the Amoskeag Fishways in Manchester, NH. It offers the opportunity to handle this fascinating primitive fish. In the video you'll see children wearing gloves, these are being worn to protect the slime on the fish. I was able to feel the suction when I placed my fingers near the mouth parts. 

Amoskeag Fishways

Boca de lamprea.1 - Aquarium Finisterrae.JPG
Close up of Lamprey mouth. Its tongue rasps and eventually penetrates the skin of its host fish. Secretions prevent the blood of the host from coagulating.
By I, Drow male, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link


Young lampreys are filter feeders and have no means of digesting blood

Impressive looking machine which I guess is used to capture a bucket of fish for stocking streams

Fish ladder, note the path to the exhibit hall marked with blue fish icons


Topological Sandbox was a big hit

Mural at observation deck

Fish delivery
Up close with a painted turtle



Staff member explains how young lampreys filter feed by poking their heads out of the sand

 www.poltrack.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)