Huginn and Muninn

Huginn (thought) and Muninn (memory) are a pair of ravens that fly all over the world to bring information to the Norse god Odin - Wikipedia.

I was fascinated by the ravens I saw in Port Hardy on Vancouver Island when we visited relatives last summer. My wife gave me Ravens in Winter by Bernd Heinrich as a Christmas gift which I just started reading.

It might be a coincidence, but since my visit to Canada, I'm starting to see and hear an occasional raven here in New Ipswich. They are welcome in my yard and if you know of any hangouts, let me know, I'm looking for my totem animal, especially one that can help me with thought and memory.

Odin enthroned and holding his spear Gungnir, flanked by his ravens Huginn and Muninn and wolves Geri and Freki (1882) by Carl Emil Doepler

I spent some time feeding watermelon to this raven on a reserve on Port Hardy.I completely understand why they are such a part of Native folklore.




www.poltrack.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)