Memorial Day for the Poltrack Family

Two years before I was born Francis John Mark Poltrack was killed during the invasion of Peleliu in WWII. 28,000 Marines and Infantry troops were involved and a full 40% who fought died or were wounded, including my uncle.

In retrospect the battle was not even necessary to the war effort but that will not bring my uncle back. In our family tradition his name was passed to the next born male in the family. My cousin was born before me and became David Francis Poltrack. I was born after Dave and became John Mark Poltrack.

After reading his poetry, reading his letters, hearing the recordings he made with his brothers at the 1938 World's Fair, it is obvious we would get along wonderfully but that will never be.

This weekend take a moment to think of all those who never got the chance to grow old.  Francis was just 24 years old when he died.

Francis Poltrack

Ed Poltrack on WWII (Page 1)

Ed Poltrack on WWII (Page 2)
Ed Poltrack on WWII (Page 3)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)