The Navy Years - Memphis

I was stationed at the Naval Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) in Millington, TN in 1968 which was about 20 miles from Memphis. I attended the AFUN "P" School and AT "A" School studying Avionics. I had classes on various communications, navigation and radar systems. When the training was complete I would get the naval rating of ATN (Aviation Electronics Technician).

When i first arrived I had the rating of E-3 and did not have much money. I didn't have a car, I left that behind when I joined. The Navy ran a shuttle to Memphis, an ugly gray bus full of sweaty sailors and Marines. The shuttle dropped off at a USO in downtown Memphis. It was a pretty good venue.

On Sunday they USO provided meals cooked by local folks which was better than the food in the mess hall. The USO also provided free tickets for some events and I spent a few Sundays attending matinee performances of the Memphis orchestra. 

Most of the time I would walk around the city and take photos. I did a lot of walking either by myself or friends but sadly never wandered over to Graceland or the Sun Records Studio.

I ate my fill of Gulf Shrimp and BBQ in Memphis but can't recall the restaurant. I do remember it was in the basement of another building. Here are some random photos taken in and around the city.

I went on a tour of Memphis mansions which in sharp contrast to life in the barracks

Mansion tour, nice place isn't it?

I was walking along the streets of Memphis when a van of girls drove by and asked if I wanted to go with them. Much to my surprise they drove me out to some bible camp in the middle of nowhere. After a few minutes of preaching I went out and walked around. I actually found a field of cotton and chatted with a nice black man who was fishing. Later,  after returning to the bible camp they drove me back downtown, I guess I was thinking it was going to be different than it was but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I thought I should take a "cruise" on the Mississippi and this is it. Not very exciting, not exactly the Danube,or the Ganges. I've often thought about this photo which I took in 1968. I don't know who these guys are but they must be in their late 50s or early 60s now. I wonder how they turned out.

On this outing I bought a few bottles of wine and we drank them in a park. My shipmates were probably underage (At 21 I was older than most of the guys I served with). We probably broke a dozen laws by drinking in public.  War is hell.

A random photo taken in Memphis. I liked the pastel colors

King Cotton - What I saw at the cotton field after my escape from the Bible Camp.
Sunday morning in Memphis were completely dead except for churches and blood banks. It was not unusual to see lines of Sailor and Marines selling their blood for money, a variation of "vampire liberty". I checked this place out because they often would provide a meal.


I wish I could recall where and why I was here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)