Throwback Thursday - Antiwar Protest 1968

I had a school friend who was a competitive target shooter. He invited me to a NRA gun show in Boston in Spring of 1968.The hotel we stayed in was in lock down at night after the assassination of Martin Luther King for fear of rioting. Racial tensions were already high because of forced school busing. Boston was probably spared the rioting due to a memorial concert performed by James Brown which was televised on WGBH to calm the city. 

Besides the civil rights movement, there were demonstrations against the Vietnam War. I grew tired of the gun show so I wandered around Boston Common, followed the music to an antiwar protest. 1968 was quite a year.

A Lotus Europa on the streets of Boston

My flower power moment. Hard to believe that I would soon be on my way to Boot Camp

I never got to the point where I would wear "love beads". Boston folks are so elegant.

Live music. One guy is wearing a beret

One of the speakers who looks the part

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)