The Navy Years - Civil Rights Movement


During the 1960s I watched TV with dismay seeing demonstrators in the South being sprayed with fire hoses, beaten, and being attacked by police dogs. I was disgusted by the racism. When I was stationed in Memphis, I also heard my fair share of racist comments. Sometimes it was expressed by my instructors as an aside to the curriculum. 

I hated the comments then and I hate them today especially since we seem to have regressed in our attitudes toward our brothers and sisters, These photos were taken in 1968 when I somehow managed to find myself witnessing a civil rights march in Memphis Tennessee.

Everywhere I have been I always see one of these Street Evangelists 
I suspect this might have been part of the Poor People's Campaign which was started by Rev. Martin Luthor King Jr.



No problems with this march

I was not in uniform when I took this photo. I also avoided speaking with anyone. I'm curious about this guy.

I wish I had taken more photos or discovered more about this march

I served with very few African Americans in the Navy. I'm guessing the photos are different for the Army

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)