The Navy Years - San Diego

After I graduated from the Avionics Training in Memphis TN, I filled out a "dream sheet" stating where I wanted my next duty assignment. I chose the East Coast and was not surprised to find myself  being sent to the West Coast. I was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Imperial Beach California. I was assigned to  Helicopter Combat Support Squadron (HC-1, Detachment 3). This squadron performs sea-air rescue for downed pilots. It was a small Air Station with a landing field, nice barracks, NCO Club, movie theater, Navy Exchange and Chow Hall.

We got paid in cash, They set up a table and we lined up to get paid. Two armed share patrol guys kept guard on payday. That was a little weird for me, but later there was a credit union option. I was making a bit more money after training and had the rate of ATN-3 (Aviation Electronics Technician).

In Memphis I had to depend on a Navy bus to get into town, but San Diego had great commercial bus service and I was able to get around even without a car. It didn't take long to fall in love with Southern California with its beaches and weather.

California Girls

It was my experience that being a serviceman during the Vietnam War did make  us very popular, I didn't see any hostility but there definitely was no interest. It was hard to pass as a civilian with short hair.
Sunday was a great day to visit the zoo. I would get the all day bus pass, get some Mexican food, visit the zoo and maybe the beach and be back at the base to start the work week.
Downtown San Diego. Only a nickel to see an "Art" movie

I remember taking this photo in winter and realizing how nice it was not to be cold

I cannot resist an interesting sign

I don't have a tattoo, just some surgical scars. Isn't this a great sign?

What s bargain. I once spent an afternoon watching three classic Spaghetti Westerns from the great Sergio Leone

Yikes, I was so young. Riding the bus in San Diego, I met some interesting people including a blimp pilot.

Balboa Park is mostly a tourist attraction but who can resist a Mariachi Band?

I photographed this at the Zoo. It must have been a strange conversation
I like to think these guys are still around, but I haven't seen them at the airport

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)