1908 Forest Fires

I often wonder what life must have been like 100 years ago in New Ipswich. The photos suggest that there was a lot going on. There were inns, dance halls, parades and social events. The existence of postcards indicates that New Ipswich was a vacation destination.

Some of the notes postcards give an insight about what life was like in those days. I found the one on this postcard to be of interest (Sep 23, 1908).

Dear Mabel;
I shall leave here tomorrow on first train for Boston and go to Springfield Friday afternoon reaching there I hope shortly after 5:00 PM via B.M. from Greenfield; going to Troy Saturday A.M. Too hot todayto travel. All well here and send love. Very dry and warm, air filled with smoke from forest fire. We'll see you Friday - Charles
I assume a forest fire is quite possible in September when you have a locomotive spewing out hot cinders, especially in late August and September.


Front of Postcard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)