Photographing a Sandwich

Recently I've been posting many photos taken in the early years of the twentieth century from the collection of the New Ipswich Historical Society. Most of the photographs were taken by professionals, since the equipment and materials were so expensive. The subjects they chose were homes, businesses and formal family portraits. I've yet to see a birthday party or a Christmas morning snapshot. 

One example of what I would consider a typical professional portrait is this one taken of my family in the early 1920s. Notice that no one is holding a selfie stick. Everyone is dressed in their finery, not one Bart Simpson tee shirt in the group.

Poltrack Family Portrait - Circa 1923
(L-R) Mary, Francis, Adeline, Emilia (grandmother), Edward (with horn), Henry(standing),Anthony(grandfather), Lillian, Tony (my dad), Helen

I wonder what those early photographers would think if someone asked them to photograph a Reuben sandwich? Yet this is something we all do when we go to a restaurant. When the meal arrives we take a photo with our smart phone and share with people who weren't lucky enough to be invited. I'm as guilty as everyone else. I take the extra step of sharing it with Google Maps so the entire world can see my Reuben sandwich. If I had selfie stick I could capture myself eating the thing. Life is so strange.

Rheins Deli - Photo taken April 2004 and the sandwich is still fresh

Sometimes the photo doesn't make you hungry
My nephew was working at a tire shop at the time

My son took this photo of his Mom's BLT when they lunched at the Fat Dog in Dover, NH.

I did not accompany them to the Fat Dog Restaurant. They were kind enough to bring me some leftovers which weren't as photogenic.

My cousin's husband prides himself on his homemade subs. The secret he says are the pickles.
Coffee Pond, Maine

Sometimes the sandwich overwhelms the plate
Lakes Region, NH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)