Dogwood Festival

Shortly after we moved from Connecticut to New Hampshire I was anxious to plant some of my favorite trees and shrubs. I wanted to include the dogwood species (Cornus florida) that was common in Connecticut but learned that that it was just a bit too far north for them to thrive.

I chose the Kousa dogwood (Cornus kousa) variety which is much better suited to our planting zone 5. It was a great choice, I like how the flowers appear in layers and the shape of the tree. My only regret is that I didn't plant it in a more prominent location.

Closeup of Kousa blossoms on my tree in New Ipswich, NH

Different variety of Dogwood spotted in Hollis, NH

Nice fall foliage on Dogwood

In 1973 in Connecticut we were living at my parents home in Fairfield, CT. I was attending school in Norwalk, CT and Ginny was working at an office in Fairfield. In Spring we took a ride to Greenfield Hill Congregational Church to see the Pink Dogwoods in bloom. The church has an annual Dogwood Festival on Mother's Day Weekend. The 83rd Festival will be held on May 11-13, 2018.

Pink blossoms at the church (1973)

Ginny 1973

Pale Pink

Colorful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)