The New Ipswich Bandstand

I've lamented the fact that New Ipswich lacks a bandstand with summer concerts such as can be found in other nearby towns. However that was not always the case as I discovered when I found these photos in the New Ipswich Historical Society collection.

The first photo is undated, but NIHS notes indicate that the bandstand was constructed in 1903 and torn down in 1911.

New Ipswich Bandstand
NIHS Ref 97.149

Strange to see that the bandstand was located on the side Turnpike Road instead of a village green. But since New Ipswich lacks a village green, I suppose this was suitable.

A view of town hill with bandstand clearly visible in center of frame.
The photo was taken on Feb 24, 1907 by Mrs. A. L.Balch
NIHS Ref 92.137

In 2010 the bluegrass band Hot Mustard performed a summer concert at the Bandstand in Hancock, NH. Wouldn't this be nice to have in New Ipswich?  It was a nice way to spend a summer evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Why can't I find lyrics to "Hupaj Siupaj"?

Snow Squall