Piscataquog River Ice Jam



I had a nice lunch with my Mom at the Northeast Cafe in New Boston, NH. As we dined we watched large chunks of ice flow by in the raging Piscataquog River. It occurred to me that somewhere they were going to get jammed up. I didn't have to travel far downstream to find the spot.

This was a result of our crazy New England weather. First a blizzard, followed by subzero temperatures, rain, fog and springlike thaw. This is just the start of the story, the ice is still gathering and another cold snap is predicted.

Looking downstream (Route 13 in background) while standing on The Todd Bridge presented a field of large ice chunks. A number of people had gathered to look at a beaver dislodged (pun intended) by the gathering ice. I was too late to see it.

As I stood on the bridge the water was beginning to creep over the roadway

This shed was being flooded

Looking up stream, those speeding ice chunks kept coming.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)