2018 Garden Planning

When I awoke the thermometer measured -7 F. The garden is covered with a foot of snow. It seems like a great day to stay indoors and plan for springtime planting. Last year I read a book on weedless gardening which described a no-till method of a heavy mulch and drip irrigation. I'm anxious to try those techniques. In my mind's eye I see this as the best garden ever.

Learning about plants from my grandmother who was a master gardener

Taking a stroll in my Grandmother's garden in 1948
In 2011 this was supposed to be a successful day lily bed. It quickly became a tangle of briars. I've moved most of these plants to new locations.

In Autumn of 2017 covered my garden with a layer of newspaper under hay and straw. If I can avoid weeds from the hay I may have a no-till weedlgarden. We'll know in just a few more months.

Strawberries seemed promising in 2014 but only the slugs got to taste them

In 2014 I opted for pole beans instead of bush beans, a big mistake they grew out of reach

I used to start my own tomatoes from seed but when Amazing Flower Farm offered mixed six packs, it made more sense to go for the transplants

This is what I'm thinking about on this cold January day



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)