Winter Blooms

It is a long winter and I miss seeing green growing things. I depend on my houseplants to cheer me up. As the days get longer some of my plants will flower and send out new growth. Spring comes early to my indoor garden.

Most but not all of my houseplants came from the annual Children's Fair held in New Ipswich, NH.

Nematanthus (Goldfish plant) has strange flowers which do resemble goldfish

The leaves of the the Oxalis triangularis exhibit photonasty. The leaves fold up when it gets dark. It does have small lavender flowers but they had gone by

Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus) comes in a variety of pastel colors. It is reliable winter bloomer especially in cool rooms

Most of my Schlumbergera are in the Truncata Group 

Another view

My sister sent me a yellow variety

Mostly grown for leaf foliage the Begonia 

My most dependable flowering houseplant is the African Violet (Saintpaulia)

Another dependable bloomer is the Camellia japonica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)