Waterfalls and Ice Sculptures

It warmed just a bit on Tuesday and I ventured out for tour of the local waterfalls. I visited the falls in New Ipswich, Greenville, Dublin and Peterborough. The cold temperatures produced some dramatic effects.

Lower Garwin Falls, Wilton, NH (Photo taken in May)
This waterfall covers an entire hillside and is one of my favorites

Everything was coated with ice. The brownish tinge comes from tannin  and iron in the water

Somehow running water managed to eke through fissures

I was reminded of the landscapes in Yellowstone of limestone from geysers. I had to tread carefully for this photo, the ground was very icy.

Noone Mills Falls, Peterborough, NH
Interesting ice formations at Noone Falls. Reminded me of the legs of a Clydesdale horse.



The falls can be viewed from the Kogetsu Asian Restaurant located in the mill overlooking the falls

Frozen spray from Noone Falls

In New Ipswich on Hildreth Place, frozen spray weighs down hemlock branches
On Mill Street in Greenville the Souhegan used to power the mill, now abandoned

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved On

Snow Squall

Caturday (Analog Edition)